Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer was put together by leading professional dog trainer Adam Katz. He states that this book is his attempt to bring together all of the latest tricks, tips and crafts of the dog training profession, and make them accessible to the ordinary dog owner. In doing this I believe he has created the best do-it-yourself dog training system available today.
Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer is the most complete dog ownership and obedience training resource I have come across. This book and the bonuses that come with it have changed the way I think about dog training – and no doubt for the better. If you follow Adam’s cutting edge techniques, like I have, you’ll come away with so much more than just a “well trained dog”.
What You Get In The Package
Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer Book
This is the main book in the package, when downloaded it’s 151 pages chock full of the
best dog ownership and obedience training information I have seen in any one book. The
book isn’t slick or glossy with lots of pretty pictures, it’s just a great resource of
the latest cutting edge and useable dog training techniques. There is so much to take in and
understand that you will probably need to read through the book at least a couple of times (I still find new things each time I flick through my copy).
The book covers in precise detail every imaginable aspect of dog ownership and is presented
in a no-nonsense, take it or leave it style. Adam gets away with writing in this syle because he has an absolute confidence in his training methods which is based on years of experience and proven real-world results.
I can’t go into too much detail and give away Adam’s secrets, but I’ll just highlight some of
the many topics which are covered. These are just some of the principles I found to be crucial when working with my dogs:
- How to achieve a proper relationship with your puppy or older dog, based on trust and
- The overriding principle of this package it to praise or reward your dog when he does something you like, and correct his behavior when he does something you don’t like (sounds simple but you need to know the right way to do this).
- Shows you how to work with the natural drives and instincts of your dog (this is crucial to understand and follow).
- Explains the 3 keys to successful dog training and behavior modification – the first key is “timing”.
- Details the three phases of dog training or the dog learning process.
- Shows you how to communicate with your dog so that your dog understands your commands and those same commands have meaning.
- Explains the top four way to effectively communicate with your dogs. You achieve this
through replicating how dogs communicate with each other.
- Explains why you the dogs owner are the best person in the world to train your dog.
Dog problems are universal – the good news is so are the answers to these problems.
If you read, understand and then apply the above principles you are pretty much set. All of
your dog training needs can be addressed by adapting these methods to any situation, whether
you are trying to correct a behavioral problem or teach a new trick.
Some of the specific Lessons and Topics discussed within the book – again I can’t go into too much detail here but let me assure you Adam leaves his readers in no doubt about what to do and what not to do in all of these scenarios:
- How to choose the right puppy or older dog for you and your family.
- What your puppy needs at each crucial stage while growing up.
- Tells you how professional trainers raise their own pups.
- How to take any dog for a walk on a loose leash.
- How to perform and hold a perfect down-stay.
- How to prevent or fix canine aggression.
- Stop your dogs excessive barking.
- Five secrets to quickly housebreak (potty train) your puppy.
- The truth about crate training.
- Stop your dog jumping forever.
- The problem with clicker training.
- Which collar is right for your dog.
- Stop your dog digging.
- Stop your puppy biting now.
- How to stop your dog running away from you.
- How to fix separation anxiety.
- How to teach your dog hand signals.
- Socializing your dogs.
- Training with and electronic collar.
- How to give a motivational correction.
The above list of common dog problems barely scratches the surface of what’s included in this book. You’ll find the book addresses all area’s of dog ownership including building a strong relationship with your dog, obedience training and correcting any behavioral problems.
What Adam is really doing in this book is training us the reader, so we can then go and bond with and train our dogs – the right way.
Bonus 1 – Eight Secrets To Becoming The “Alpha Dog”
This proved to be the most beneficial part of the package for me and my dogs. Once I learned and applied the techniques covered in this bonus book everything else I did with my dogs seemed to become easier. Whether I was teaching them a new trick or correcting a behavioral problem, the process seemed to be easier and quicker after we established that I was the Alpha Dog. As Adam outlines in the book (you can also listen to it as an audio file) when you become the Alpha Dog your dogs do these four things:
- Quickly respond to you.
- Respect you in any situation.
- Bond with you in the proper way.
- Really want to please you.
This occurs because dogs naturally love to have a leader (you the Alpha Dog). They are
happiest when they’ve got a good strong leader, who they know will take care of them and that
Bonus 2 – How To Fix Aggression Problems In Dogs
Again this section is available to learn in printed form or as an audio file (I actually
learned these lessons on the train, on my way to work listening to my ipod). This section of
Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer clearly defines the four main causes or types of dog
aggression. Adam really digs deep into how to correctly diagnose and fix these aggression
problems. He reveals one simple technique that he has used to fix 90% of the aggression
problems he encountered at his dog training school. What I learnt in this section is that it is the way we communicate with our dogs that is essential to correcting this problem – we
must be on the same page as our dogs.
Bonus 3 – How To Teach Any Dog To Walk On A Loose Leash In Less Than 10 Minutes!
The title says it all really. Adam spells out exactly what to do to stop your dog pulling
on the leash. These techniques work a treat. I’ve got to say it did take me and Pocky (my
whippet) a little longer than 10 minutes to master this skill, but we got there before long.
Bonus 4 – Free $25 E-mail Consultation With Adam
This is a great bonus. if you do decide to go ahead and purchase this package be sure to use
this service. Any specific problems you come across when training your dogs you can get the
answer to here. Also be aware that you will receive free access to heaps of training tips and
advice on Adam’s website. This includes an active forum you can read and participate in (there’s some brilliant tips to be found on this site).
Bonus 5 – How To Choose A Veterinarian
Unfortunately, as dog owners there will be times we need to call on the services of a good Vet. This book outlines some important factors to consider when making this decision. These points are general and apply to all dog owners, regardless of what part of the world you are in.
Bonus 6 – Where To Buy Dog Products At Wholesale Prices
Lists some very cheap suppliers of dog care and training products. This part of the package is most useful to residents of the U.S.A.
Bonus 7 – Dog Training Internet Resource File
This is another good little bonus. It’s an exhaustive list of dog training related web sites,
registries, mailing lists, breeders, kennels, products, articles and information. You’ll find
some real gems amongst this lot.
My Experience Using Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer
When I first set out to find a suitable do-it-yourself dog training system, this system is really what I hoped to find. It took me a while to wade through lots of the junk products out there, but it was worth it.
Of all the products I have tested, this one is clearly my personal favorite. It is by far
the most comprehensive and insightful product of its kind. Every stage and thinkable
situation of a dogs life is expertly addressed by Adam.
What Type Of Dog Owner Would Benefit Most From Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer?
I’ve recommended this package to many friends who are first time dog owners, I’d be just as
comfortable recommending it to Professional Dog Trainers. All dog owners (and their dogs)
would benefit from learning and applying Adam’s cutting edge training methods. He is the
leading authority on how to properly bond with and obedience train any puppy or dog.