There are over 150 recognized dog breeds which come in all different sizes, colors and personalities. While this is not necessarily a list of the top ten dog breeds, below are the ten most popular breeds in America in 2008 according to the American Kennel Club.
- Labrador Retrievers – The Labrador Retriever is a large dog breed. They are consistently the most popular breed of dog in the United States and Canada. Labs, as they are commonly called, are generally well tempered, athletic and intelligent dogs. Labrador Retriever originated in Newfoundland, Canada.
- Yorkshire Terriers (Yorkies) – Yorkshire Terrier dogs make great companions. The Yorkshire Terrier is an xx-small dog breed but carry a bold personality. Often referred to as Yorkies, the breed originated in Yorkshire, England in the mid 1800s. Yorkies have a long, silky coat which requires an average amount of grooming.
- German Shepherd Dogs – German Shepherd Dogs were originally bred in Germany during the late 1800s. The German Shepherd Dog is a large dog breed. The breed is generally obedient and intelligent which causes them to be utilized by many police and military organizations around the world. German Shepherds are active and hard working dogs.
- Golden Retrievers – Golden Retriever dogs were originally bred in Scotland during the 1800s as a hunting dog. The Golden Retriever is a medium size dog breed. The breed is often used by police, rescue and seeing-eye organizations due to its intelligence and athleticism. Golden Retrievers are friendly, kind and confident.
- Beagles – Beagle dogs were originally bred in Great Britain around 1830 as a hunting dog. The Beagle is a small dog breed and a member of the hound family. The breed requires a small amount of pet grooming and a moderate amount of exercise.
- Boxers – The Boxer is a medium dog breed. The breed was originally developed in Germany during the late 1800s. The Boxer has a smooth, short-haired coat. Boxers require a moderate amount of exercise and grooming.
- Dachshunds – The Dachshund was originally bred for badger hunting during the 15th century. The breed is commonly known for their short legs and relatively long body. Dachshunds are playful dogs but are also known for their stubborn personalities. They require a small amount of exercise and a moderate amount of exercise.
- Bulldogs – Bulldogs are known for their thick shoulders and head and the folds on their face. Bulldogs were originally bred in England in the 1500s and are thought to be a descendent of the mastiff. They are a medium size dog breed and require an average amount of grooming.
- Poodles – The poodle is a medium size dog breed which originated in German during the 15th century. The poodle is known as one of the most intelligent dog breeds. Their coat is long and dense and it is commonly groomed in a fashionable manner for dog shows, which makes the breed highly recognizable.
- Shih Tzu – The Shih Tzu is an xx-small dog breed which originated in China. The Shih Tzu is one of the oldest dog breeds. They are characterized by their short muzzle and their long silky coat. Shih Tzus require an average amount of grooming and a minimal amount of exercise.
Hopefully you will find this list of the top ten dog breeds helpful.